How To Detect Basement And Crawl Space Water Damage Before It’s Too Late!

basement water damage
Basement and crawl space water damage can continue unnoticed for some time. In many homes, these areas are infrequently visited and even less frequently carefully inspected. However, because household water supply lines as well as drain pipes are often routed through that part of the structure, basement and crawl space water damage is an all too common event.

Even minor seepage from water supply lines is important to know about and correct. No amount of leakage from these pipes is acceptable because it’s often an early warning of internal corrosion that may cause a major pipe rupture at any time, releasing hundreds of gallons of water per hour. However, you don’t need a catastrophic event to experience problems: even small drips can create an environment that supports growth of toxic mold. When this occurs in a remote part of the house like a basement or crawl space, mold contamination may be extensive.

To avoid basement and crawl space water damage, here are some steps you can take:

  • Visually inspect the area a few times per year. Look for any signs of leakage from plumbing pipes. If you notice any suspicious areas, contact a professional plumbing service for repair ASAP.
  • Utilize your sense of smell, too. A persistent pungent musty odor in a basement or crawl space often means mold growth. Mold is usually the result of undetected water leakage or other moisture infiltrating the zone.
  • In the basement, also look for ground water seepage through walls or floor. Sealing cracks and gaps in walls can help reduce ground water intrusion. If seepage up through the floor is noted, consider having a sump pump installed in the basement floor to reduce hydrostatic pressure and automatically remove water from the basement.
  • Water leak detectors strategically placed near water supply lines in the crawl space or basement can alert you with a loud alarm if a major pipe rupture occurs. These devices are battery-powered or plug into an AC outlet.

 

Tags: , , , ,

Return to the Blog Home Page